It is the purpose.
25 February, 2007
(the speech I made for our english)
Two titles I thought were entirely different----B.S. Nursing and AHSE. I remember as i was enrolling myself in the University, I insisted on writing B.S. Nursing on my enrolment records as others wrote on their AHSE1. I asked myself, "Why are they writing AHSE1? They are taking-up nursing, right?" Then later on, someone answered me as if hearing my bewildered call. "Miss, it's more right to put AHSE1 there because as first years, you are still taking up AHSE program" and I said, "Oh. Thank you."
The decision of taking up nursing wasn't really my idea. You see, I'm a kind of person who enjoys technology. I love exploring gadgets, creating HTML and CSS codes, editing digital images and creating masterpieces out from digital scrap. In fact, if there's no exam or long test for the week, you often find me at my place, in front of the computer and I could spend the whole day facing the PC and never get bored.
Back in High School, I had one particular favorite subject---Business Management. I took up this subject when I was in third year. And you know what? I am really proud to say that I got 100 percent during our 3rd quarter exam and 98 percent during our 4th quarter exam. That was how I loved the subject. There was even a time when I preferred studying it over Chemistry and to think I got extremely low grades for that subject.
It was also in third year when I joined the Edmund Campion Club, a dual collaboration between the English Club and the Debating Circle. It was here that I was given the chance to enhance my speaking ability.My friend, Melanie and I, were constantly asked to be the Masters of Ceremony at any activities that our club sponsored especially during the English month. After which I thought, it must be nice to take-up Business Communications when I reach college or pursue taking Information Technology. As you can see, I only had two options and either of which was not Nursing. As I addressed my preferred future course to my parents, a drastic big NO was their response. For a moment my world collapsed. So much for my dreams, aspirations and passions. I had nothing else to do but follow their choice-----to take up nursing.
I knew from that moment and on, I cannot give my best when I take up nursing. I will not be as diligent and passionate as how I used to perform in my 3rd year Business Management subject. My skills and creativity will have to come to a limit since it will not be of much use.
But one Friday evening as I was watching one of the episodes of the longest running TV show "Maala-ala Mo Kaya," I realized something. That night they aired the story about a little boy suffering from brain cancer. His case was extremely lethal and he was subject to an early death. They were very poor and his parents could not afford to send him for an operation. Yet his parents never gave up. To cut the story short, the boy died and by miracle, he lived! Yes, he lived but, what was striking for me was the scene when the child suffered from high fever and was brought by his father to the hospital carrying along with him a bucket full of freshly caught fishes. As they reached the emergency room, nobody and I mean NOBODY attended to them, not even the nurses, for the reason that they knew the father had no money. My heart ached as I viewed that part of the episode. Tears suddenly gushed out of my eyes and I fell on my knees. I was crying and I did not know why. That was the night I promised to God I will try to love nursing and will never let that thing to happen again as I practice my vocation.
Since it became the hottest job domestically, more than 40, 000 graduates acquire the degree of B.S. Nursing. And it goes on and on every school year. And if you question some of those graduates or even the ones currently taking the course, why they took up nursing, a number would say, "because my parents told me so" or "because I want to assure I will earn money." But if you ask me, my response would be different. At first, I may have been hesitant taking this course, but now I can say, I choose nursing because my reason is not money nor my parents' decision but because of the mission I want to fulfill. I may not be the best at this field. And I shall never be as successful as my cousin, Venus Sofia Balatero, who garnered the 6th rank last December 2006 Nursing Licensure Exam. But I believe, nurses have a purpose in this world. They are to care, to nurse, and even to love their patients, rich or poor, young or old, sickly or not. Nursing is more than the course. It is the purpose.
Blogged
@ 9:08 PM
Don't let me go -